“The first thing that springs to mind is the sense of community. I think the culture at The Oxford School of Drama is particularly special. It’s a giving, caring and encouraging environment.”
Arthur McBain, Graduate of the Three Year Acting Course, 2013
How To Apply
First Round Auditions
Applications are now open. You can apply until midnight on 31 May 2021.
Entry is by audition only; there are no academic requirements for any of our courses.
There is no upper age limit for any of our courses. It is essential however, that you meet the minimum age requirements below by the time the course starts in September.
Foundation Course – 18 years
Three Year Course – 18 years
One Year Course – 21 years
On the application form, you have the option to apply for up to two courses. Please only select a second course choice if you are willing to be considered by the audition panel for that choice.
Please note that it is only possible to submit one application per academic year.
We are unable to accept international students on our courses unless they have UK residency with indefinite leave to remain/settled status.
Applicants from the EU/EEA/Switzerland who do not have settled status in the UK are eligible to apply for the Six Month Foundation Course.
A single audition fee is charged for each applicant. You will not be asked to pay any additional audition fees if you progress to later stages. Please note that the fee is non-refundable.
Supported Application Fee Scheme
The Oxford School of Drama is committed to promoting inclusivity in the arts and is working proactively towards greater diversity in the range of actors training for the profession.
Our Supported Application Fee Scheme aims to ensure fairer access by offering a free audition place to eligible applicants who aspire to train at drama school. We are able to offer 100 Supported Application Fee waivers.
The Scheme is open to anyone who is serious about becoming a professional actor through drama training. Please click here for more detailed information.
To download a Supported Application Fee Scheme application form, please click here.
The Application Procedure
Applications for entry in September 2021 are now open and will close at midnight on 31 May 2021. We advise you to apply as early as possible. If you do so before midnight on 30th November, you can take advantage of our early bird audition fee offer.
The only way to apply is online via our website.
First Round and First Recall auditions will be via self-tape. Second Recall auditions will be held in-person at the School.
Please follow the instructions below regarding submitting your First Round audition with your application. Click here to view the full application guidance.
Submitting your First Round self-tape with your application
You will need to film and submit two speeches of no more than 2 minutes each. You will also need to film yourself answering the question in point number 1. The intro and answer should be around 2 minutes long.
The speeches are of your choosing, but if you would like to take one of our suggestions for your classical speech, please click here to view the list.
- A classical speech from the 16th or 17th century. This can be Shakespeare or any other writer from that period; for example, John Ford, Ben Jonson, Mary Pix, Christopher Marlowe, Aphra Benn.
- A contrasting (a different subject, theme or emotion) speech from a 20th or 21st century play.
- Film a close up of your face introducing yourself (be quite brief – state your name, age, the course(s) you are applying for and the names of your speeches) and then answer the following question Choose a moment from a play or film which really impacted on you emotionally and tell us about it. How did you feel? (2 minutes)
- Then change position by moving back from camera to a waist up shot and do the two pieces. Your eyeline should be to the side of the camera.
- Upload your audition video to Vimeo/YouTube. Copy and paste the link into the indicated field on the application form. If using Vimeo, please make sure that your link is in this format: https://vimeo.com/000000000 It should be a short link without the word user in it. Please also include the names of your speeches in the indicated fields on the application form.
Please watch the following short film clip offering advice and tips on recording before you film your audition:
General advice on your online audition
- Prepare the answer to the question as well as your two pieces
- Pick a quiet room with some space to move and no background noise.
- Stand away from the background which should be plain and not distracting.
- Be aware of your distance from the camera/mic and speak up (project) when further away.
- Make sure the room is bright and you can be seen clearly – lit from the front rather than above.
- Do not place yourself in silhouette – be careful of windows.
- Try and use a tripod – not handheld. If you don’t have a tripod, spend a bit of time experimenting to ensure that your smartphone is secure.
- Avoid props, costume and make up. We are interested in you and your ability.
- You can film your self-tape either in one continuous take or, if you prefer, you can film the monologues and the answer to the question separately and then edit the videos together.
- Please ensure that you check the video for any audio issues etc before you upload the link to the application form.
- Please also ensure that the settings are not set to “private” and that there is no expiration date on the video.
Please allow up to 4 weeks for us to get back to you regarding the outcome of your First Round audition.
If your First Round audition is successful, we will invite you to submit a First Recall audition and instructions on what you will need to prepare and the deadline for submission will be e-mailed to you.
If your First Recall audition is not successful, we will contact you to let you know when you will be able to call the School to obtain feedback on your audition from the Admissions Administrator.
Conditions Of Entry
Payment Of Fees
Fees for students on the Three Year and One Year Courses are payable termly in advance. For Foundation students full course fees for the current year are payable in advance of the commencement of the course. Places on courses will only be confirmed on receipt of a deposit. The deposit will be returned within six weeks of successful completion of the course.