Students who completed the foundation course and went on to further training here or at another drama school:
- Lydia Rose Bewley, E4’s Drifters, E!’s The Royals, ITV2’s Plebs, The Inbetweeners Movie
- Nicola Coughlan, Channel 4’s Derry Girls, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie in the West End
- Luke Dale, Watford Palace Theatre, Sheffield Crucible
- Alex Felton, National Theatre, Bristol Old Vic, Theatre Royal Bath
- Lisa Jackson, National Theatre, West Yorkshire Playhouse, Royal Exchange Theatre
- Rosie Jones, BBC1’s The Bodyguard, Nottingham Playhouse, New Vic/Oldham Coliseum, Bolton Octagon
- Aimee Lou Wood, Netflix’s Sex Education, National Theatre’s Downstate
- Maimuna Memon, Lazarus in the West End, Jesus Christ Superstar at Regents Park Open Air Theatre, The Assassination of Katie Hopkins at Theatr Clwyd
- Mark Strepan, BBC3’s Clique, BBC1’s New Blood, Channel 4’s The Mill
- Camilla Whitehill, writer
Without it, I simply wouldn’t have been able to give myself the structure to work in. The tutors still sit in ‘my rehearsals’, I still ‘talk’ to them. I go to work. It is an everyday occurrence. I think they walk you to base camp, they help pack your bags -then off you go, but they don’t leave you.
Graduate of the Three Year Acting Course, 2013
Our Foundation Course in Acting is a vigorous and rewarding course that will introduce you to a range of performance methods and techniques. It’s both challenging and fun – and helps you to develop your creativity and establish the beginning of a technique that will be invaluable for the future, whether you are going to audition for drama school, are planning to act at university or simply wish to develop your presentation and communication skills. The course is also very useful for those who have so far been unsuccessful at drama school auditions and offers support in audition technique.
The course is mainly taught by tutors who also teach on our One and Three Year courses and with over 32 hours of tuition per week it will really give you a taste of life and insight into training at a world-class drama school.
Graduates of the Foundation Course have gone on to train on our own Three Year Course and at other leading drama schools including RADA, LAMDA, Drama Centre and Guildhall, but also to study unrelated subjects at all the major universities. As the course has been running for over 25 years, graduates are now pursuing successful careers in the industry, including at the National Theatre, Hampstead Theatre, Royal Exchange Theatre, Kiln Theatre, BBC and Channel 4.
The course lasts two terms. Entry is by audition only and there are no academic requirement
Unfortunately, no o public funding is available for this course.
Short Films About The Foundation Course
Acting Methods and Techniques
The practical exploration of the actor’s craft through the work of practitioners such as Konstantin Stanislavski, Michael Chekhov and Uta Hagen
Classes to encourage your understanding and awareness of your body and its potential in movement and stillness
Classes designed to improve the quality and flexibility of your voice
Verse and Poetry
Study of form and expression in poetry with particular emphasis on the language of Shakespeare
The study of the physical world of an animal in preparation for the development of character
Practical work preparing songs and developing singing technique
Film and Television
Introductory classes in acting technique for film and television
Leading to an Academy of Performance Combat examination
Improvisation & Devising
Classes to expand your creativity and increase your confidence